Progress Pic

Progress Pic
I hope to do another one of these with more recent pics soon!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Baby, I Was Born This Way!

I have been thinking of writing a weight loss blog for such a long time and I am finally putting my fingertips to the keyboard and doing it… I think. Recently, my significant other has mentioned my obsession for all things weight-loss-related and has challenged me to stop thinking about it, reading about it, obsessing about it and to just DO IT. The thing is, as much as I think he just wants me to just shut up about “getting thin,” I know he wants me to go back to the way I got healthier about a year ago.

In April of 2010 I found myself at one of my heaviest points (not THE heaviest, I’m not exactly sure what the ACTUAL heaviest number I ever was, so I go with the following) 261 pounds. Now, I’d love to say I just felt sick of being that size, or that I was totally unhappy, but those things alone couldn’t motivate me then. However, it was a small bet between my boo and I that sparked my original interest in all things weight-loss oriented. I joined a gym, started cooking healthier, and eating out less and I kicked his but and took his name! Ok, that was super corny ☺ Anyway, I worked very hard with a great nutritionist (Yey Sharleen!) and eventually did WeightWatchers for a little while. I got down to about 220 pounds. Unfortunately though, life happened after the bet was completed and I collected my winnings. I moved to a new apartment, the cold weather set in, you know 1000 more excuses as to why I have not continued this journey to my ultimate goal… a size 10 (more to come on that later).

So, was I born this way as I so proudly proclaim in my best GAGA voice? Maybe, but probably not. I have never been a “thin” or “skinny” person, but let’s be realistic here—Nobody comes out of the womb obese, but people do learn “fat” habits quickly. In fact, I can’t remember a time in my life when I wasn’t at least “husky.” I have always been a fat kid, fat girl, fat teen, fat college student, and now a fat adult. And yes, I have lost some weight, but not enough to lose that “fat” title in my opinion. Now I know I am going to hit some nerves by using the “fat” term, but I have to be honest with myself and I think getting all the negative energy and negative connotation out in the open with the term is going to help me on this journey. I think I can and I WANT to change the way I feel about saying “fat” and hopefully my journey outlined here will help someone else (yes I know that is a bit lofty, but I’m ok with that). And finally, I need someone or something, even if it just a blip on the World Wide Web to help keep me accountable.

1 comment:

  1. I'm absolutely LOVING your positivity!!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete